This history was compiled by the sixth grade Language Arts classes of 1974-75
and a group of the 1975-76 sixth graders. With the continued growth of the city of Wichita Falls during the 1920's, it became evident in 1925 that a new elementary school was needed in the southern part of the city. Martin donated approximately six acres on Speedway street for the construction of Ben Franklin School. Cla
rk, Mrs. Silk, L.L. Buchanan, Carter McGregor, W.L. Robertson, and J.N. Prothro along with Superintendent of Schools, J.W. Cantwell, accepted this generous gift. The architectural firm of Voelcker and Dixon were retained by the school district to design this facility. The trustees of the Independent School District agreed to direct the architects to design the building similar to the Hogg Building of the schools of Fort Worth, Texas. Hare and Hare of Kansas City, Missouri, was the consulting artchitectural firm. Taylor Brothers Contractors were awarded the building contract for a total cost of $55,200.00. Included in the original building were six classrooms, an office, two restrooms, and a book room. Ben Franklin opened in the spring semester of 1926 with an enrollment of approximately 130 students. Miss Kate Burgess was the first principal and served the boys and girls of Ben Franklin and the community with dignity and loyalty until her retirement in 1945. The first faculty included the following: Lillie Karney, Emma Davidson, Eloise Harris, Mrs. Rosenblat, Mrs. J. Erick Wren, and Mrs. S.L. Butler. Emmett Lynch, the first custodian, served until his retirement in 1973. After only three years, an addition was added to the original facility, Six rooms were constructed at a cost of $12,450.00. This served the needs of the children until 1948 when the cafetorium and two classrooms were added at a cost of $64,988.00. Within the next seven years additions were constructed; in 1951, four classrooms at a cost of $54,860.00; 1952, four classrooms costing $63,021.00 and eight classrooms costing $122,000.00 in 1955. During the summer of 1971, the east wing of the building was remodeled to create a learning center for grades 1 and 2. The open area was carpeted and air conditioned. New furniture was purchased. This area creates a learning environment which allows more flexibility in order to meet the individual needs of the students. In the early years of Ben Franklin there was not a seperate area for the library. Parents, members of the P.T.A., and teachers donated books which were kept on shelves in the individual classrooms. Ben Franklin was the first elementary school in Wichita Falls to have a library. It was established in 1951. The cost of purchasing books was shared by the state and local school district with Franklin's P.T.A. contributing money also. Upon Alice R. Carr's death in 1964, the library was named in her honor. In May of 1974, the library, also known as the media center, moved to an elarged area in order to accommodate the increased number of books and audio-visual equipment needed by the students. Approximately $7,500.00 was provided by the school system with the P.T.A. providing approximately $2,000.00. The new facility was carpeted and air conditioned. Throughout Franklin's history, the Parent Teacher Association has supported and contributed to the boys and girls of this community. Without this loyalty and devotion, Ben Franklin's students would no have enjoyed the enrichment of their education. Mrs. W.T. Westmoreland was the first president of the P.T.A. when it was organized on February 9, 1927. There were 29 charter members. The contributions of the P.TA. have been many and varied. From 1927 to 1930 several hundred books, a piano, victrola, flag pole, American flag, electric program clock and the landscaping of the school campus were given. Paintings were contributed the the building by the patrons. Among the early donations were: the plaques "Morning" and Evening" donated by Mrs. Marvin Smith and Mrs. Frank Timberlake. R.H. Hoffman, Sr. donated 20 sycamore trees, Mrs. C.E. McCutchen donated a large Texas flag. In the main entrance hall, the busts of Benjamin Franklin and George Washington were placed with the relief, "Landing of the Pilgrims," between them. Playground equipment, school supplies, audio visual aids, the stage and window curtains in the cafetorium have all been provided through the various fundraising projects of the P.T.A.