Somerville Historic Advisory Committee

Somerville Historic Advisory Committee The HAC is an advisory committee to the Borough Council. Members are appointed to a 1-year term by the Mayor at Somerville’s yearly reorganization.

We meet monthly, the 3rd Thursday/
Check the Boro website for the current HAC membership and our mission. The Somerville Historic Advisory Committee will increase public awareness of Somerville’s historic heritage on local, regional, state, and national levels by creating resources for our citizens and our descendants that accentuate and emphasize the town’s history. We will provide informed and c

onsensus-based recommendations regarding the conservation of historical artifacts, structures, and other property, with a focus on enhancing the quality of life for our residents, and preserving the historic character of the Borough while allowing for appropriate growth and change. As of January 2021, the Somerville Historic Advisory Committee membership is:

Phil Decker: Chair
Kelley Allen
Rob Ambrose
Jennifer Young
Marge Sullivan
Jim Sommerville
Jadusingh Martin
Claudia Marrone
Pam Garofalo
Thompson Mitchell: Council Liaison

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/1HT5qwtfRL/Looks like Somerville kids were having a great time at this book program by ...
08/23/2026

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/1HT5qwtfRL/
Looks like Somerville kids were having a great time at this book program by local author and former HAC member Rob Ambroseb. The program was held just before the abrupt closure of the local Somerville branch library which was operating on the first floor only of the library space which has now been closed.

One of Somerville's claims to fame in the 20th century (but not the first) was the creation of the "Tour of Somerville" ...
08/21/2026

One of Somerville's claims to fame in the 20th century (but not the first) was the creation of the "Tour of Somerville" bicycle race which became an American classic and a memorial to lives of two young champions who lost their lives in WWII. The Tour was the life's work of "Pop" Kugler who carefully documented in a 2 volume set of scrapbooks. Digitized with the help of the tecnical services group of Somerset County Library and the careful stewardship of "Ronski", HAC and Fire Museum member and Tour of Somerville volunteer and enthusiast. Here are the links---bookmark them! Hope someone is keeping up the tradition of docmenting the more recent races in honor of Pop's legacy.
Scrapbook 1: https://library.biblioboard.com/collection/c03386fc-5ede-47e4-9eda-3121c2528158
Scrapbook 2: https://library.biblioboard.com/content/b42ffdf9-4351-4105-866f-e524ceb5a86a

This scrapbook highlights the early history of the Tour of Somerville cycling race from 1940 to 1985. Founded in 1940 by Fred Kugler, the race was cleverly designated a “tour” to comply with state law and take place on Somerville’s Main Street. After a pause during World War II (1943–1946), ...

Members of the local community might not be aware, but the woman that many knew as the school librarian at Vanderveer, a...
08/19/2026

Members of the local community might not be aware, but the woman that many knew as the school librarian at Vanderveer, and later, Trustee of RVCC and founder of the college's Paul Robeson Institute, Evelyn S. Field, was in the vanguard of integration in education and progress toward full civil rights. She is acknowledged on Rutgers University's Scarlet and Black page with her undergrad photo under her maiden name, which will be instantly recognizable to those that knew her. (Scroll to the second photo).

Emma Andrews and Evelyn Sermons arrive on campus Emma Andrews (’49) and Evelyn Sermons (’49) made history when they desegregated NJC’s residence halls in 1946, their sophomore year. Emma Andrews Emma Andrews, senior photo 1949 Emma Andrews, whose sister Constance Andrews graduated from NJC in ...

Ordinarily, we try to restrict posts to Somerville topics, but given the close connections between Raritan and Somervill...
08/18/2026

Ordinarily, we try to restrict posts to Somerville topics, but given the close connections between Raritan and Somerville geographically and especially early in their history, sharing this excellent article (with permission) by Bruce Doorly on Raritan's WWII Heritage --which includes much more than the Basilone story.

08/17/2026

Somerset County Cultural and Heritage Commission has announced a 2nd round of its docent training program. Volunteers will be trained to help interpret the County's cultural and heritage sites. Link to apply; Registration closes on Friday, August 21, 2026. No prior experience is required to apply. Space is limited. To learn more, visit: somersetcountynj.gov/DocentProgram

Send a message to learn more

As noted in a previous post, this 1891 photo booklet  is available on line from the Library of Congress and the Internet...
08/10/2026

As noted in a previous post, this 1891 photo booklet is available on line from the Library of Congress and the Internet archive. Great images of the grand Somerville homes (some of which still survive) and landscapes of places like "Finderne Park" that no longer exist.

Residence of Edwin Scott, Esquire, Altamont Place, 1891, from the book Towns of Somerville and Raritan.

The booklet Towns of Somerville and Raritan referred to by Greg Gillette in his recent posts was published in 1891 by So...
08/09/2026

The booklet Towns of Somerville and Raritan referred to by Greg Gillette in his recent posts was published in 1891 by Somerset Press and is available for online viewing at the Library of Congress and the Internet Archive. https://www.loc.gov/item/01007861/. The Somerville Branch Library also has a paper copy, but since the branch is now closed, you can use these links. They contain images of many of Somerville's historic buildings, some of which survive, survive in modified form, or were replaced by more modern structures or were lost to fires. Several images of downtown buildings later were printed as postcards. In addition, there are panoramic view of the original fair grounds and "Finderne Park", once just beyond Somerville's official borders, and later developed as residential and business areass

Also available in digital form.

08/02/2026

The Thaddeus Kosciuszko National Memorial. Thaddeus Kosciuszko was a Polish–Lithuanian military engineer and a military leader who became a national hero in Poland, Lithuania, Belarus, and the United States. In 1776, Kosciuszko moved to the colonies, where he took part in the as a colonel in the Continental Army. He designed and oversaw the construction of state-of-the-art fortifications, including those at West Point, New York. In 1783, in recognition of his services, the Continental Congress promoted him to brigadier general. As Supreme Commander of the Polish National Armed Forces, he led the 1794 Kosciuszko Uprising. He was exiled from Poland and resided at the house at the corner of 3rd and Pine streets during the winter of 1797-1798. During his 5-month stay, he received many distinguished visitors. He returned to Europe in May, 1798. And one additional tidbit: This is the smallest National Park Service site at 0.02 acres.

08/01/2026

13. Moving In/Moving Out. The Wallaces moved into their new home sometime before late 1778 when the Continental Army Quartermaster knocked on its front door. Exactly when they moved in is uncertain. Between 1776-78, the Revolution made urgent demands on New Jerseyans. Building a new home and moving from the colonial capital of Philadelphia, some 100 miles northeast was more challenging than usual. It would likely have involved shipping their Philadelphia possessions via the Delaware River to Burlington and Trenton, and then overland by wagon on colonial roads to the Raritan Valley, crossing what essentially became a war zone. We can play “history detective,” using the historic record to identify “windows” when the Wallaces might have safely made their move.
The Philadelphia City Council held its final meeting in February, 1776. Wallace, a ten-year member, had already resigned and bought Hope Farm. By the time the PA colonial assembly disbanded that June, he likely had broken ground for his new home. That summer in Somerset County, William Alexander, Stirling stared recruiting locals, including Frederick Frelinuysen to join New Jersey’s minutemen to march to defend New York City. Washington had moved his army south from Boston and was in the city fortifying defenses. Since the expected action was further north, construction of the Wallace house would have continued, especially if Wallace was able to pay for materials and local craftsmen in British pounds and not colonial paper money.
By fall though, the tide of the war was turning. Beaten at Brooklyn Heights and Long Island, Washington’s army began, “The Long Retreat” across New Jersey. From Fort Lee, through Hackensack, Newark, Elizabethtown, they headed south to New Brunswick, reaching it on November 30. From there, they moved south to Princeton and Trenton, crossing the Delaware into Pennsylvania. New Brunswick, once occupied by the British, was just 11 miles east of Wallace’s newly rising home. The road to Philadelphia was unprotected and there was panic in the city. If Wallace moved out of Phily then, perhaps it was to an interim location, like Burlington, where as a merchant, he had access to warehouses. Evacuating to an incomplete NJ residence at this time makes no sense and would put him closer to as impending battle!
The protection of New Jersey (and Wallace’s construction project) fell to the militia, into which Frelinghuysen, now Captain of Artillery, NJ State Troops mustered. His unit attacked the Hessian garrison at Trenton on Christmas Day, 1776, supporting Washington’s victory there. As 1777 began, he was based at the Blue Hills Militia Post in preset-day North Plainfield and saw action during the Forage War including Springfield and Elizabethtown. Swan places him at the Battles of Van Nest Mill and Millstone as well, although these are not mentioned in his NJ Cincinnati Society record. Frelinghuysen’s actions earned him promotion to Colonel, Frist NJ Brigade.
The Forage War, swirling around, but not touching the Raritan Valley west of Bound Brook, no doubt caused John Wallace some anxiety. The closest the British ever came was the capture of the Van Horne House and the burning and pillaging of Bound Brook on April 12-13. Thereafter, Washington moved down from Morristown to Middlebrook, creating a defensive encampment in this area lasting through June, 1777. Summer militia actions moved to South Jersey and Philadelphia, perhaps providing a sufficient window of safety for Wallace to finish construction and to move into the Raritan River home. The ‘saftey window’ lasted until the following summer. War returned to central New Jersey again in June, 1778. The British evacuation of Philadelphia through NJ, saw Frelinghuysen’s First Militia and Second Somerset in pursuit. Fighting at Crosswicks Creek, Swan describes the actions as a running fight from Camden to Monmouth. The Battle of Monmouth is one of the pivotal battles of the war. Despite these actions, all well south of the Raritan, the Wallaces may have safely completed and begun to occupy their home in summer 1778, while American and New Jersey’s independence hung in the balance.

Frelinghuysen service record. https://njcincinnati.org/frederick-frelinghuysen/
Image of NJ colonial pound note, dated 1776. Swan Collection.
Leftkowicz, A. S. (1998). The Long Retreat: The Calamitous Defense of New Jersey, 1776. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press.
Swan, K. (1967). Raritan’s Revolutionary Rebel: Fredrick Frelinghuysen. DAR: Somerville, NJ.

Address

25 West End Avenue
Somerville, NJ
08876

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when Somerville Historic Advisory Committee posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The School

Send a message to Somerville Historic Advisory Committee:

Shortcuts

Share