Our school was a family school open to the youth of all faiths. At the time of its closing, it was the only Catholic School in our county. Patrick School had a long tradition of offering a complete Christian education with high academic standards in a loving, caring environment. It welcomed all families interested in quality education for their children. Excellence in Education requires parents, t
eachers and administrator working together to bring children to their fullest potential both spiritually and academically. The school curriculum for Preschool through Grade 6 was approved by the New York State Department of Education and the Diocese of Rochester. The History of St. Patrick School:
Father Nicholas Byrne, who was then pastor of the parish, opened St. Patrick School in 1859. The Sisters of Mercy arrived in Owego to direct the school in 1869. Prior to their arrival, laymen had directed the school. In the fall of 1950, the students moved from a large four-classroom schoolhouse, located near where the present garage is, to the school facing on Front Street. An addition had been built onto the Stanbrough Mansion. On September 24, 1967, Bishop Fulton J. Sheen dedicated the new, modern six-classroom addition to the old school. Also, in the fall of 1967, the Home School Association of St. Patrick School was started. It was a powerful source of unity and support between the school and home and was then known as the Family School Partnership (FSP). In 1979, a full day Kindergarten class was added to round the school program to a K - 6 elementary school. In 1988, the sixth grade was closed and a preschool was added for three-, four-, and five-year olds. Early Childhood Education was a stepping-stone in preparing children for the primary grades. In 1992, under the direction of Bishop Matthew Clark, St. Patrick School became a regional school serving all the parishes in the Tioga Catholic Community. Patrick School continually strived to improve all programs, and expand the educational opportunities for its students. The school was permanently closed in late June of 2015.