08/16/2026
One of the early primary schools in northern Northfield Township was the North Northfield School, located on Dundee Road about one half mile east of Sanders Road. 👩🎓
On November 20, 1852, Levi Kennicott conveyed a small portion of the 80 acres he owned in the SE ¼ of Section 6 to the township school directors. North Northfield School, District #3, opened in 1853. The first directors of the school were, Isaac Hoffert, Levi Kennicott and Phillip Ott. Miss Anderson was the first teacher. She received $80.00 for four months work. Mr. Kennicott received $6.00 for “boarding the teacher”. In 1855, it was moved that “every inhabitant sending children to school, shall on notice, bring for each child that he sends to school, one quarter of wood feet for the stove to urn, if not he shall pay for every quarter one dollar, to the Directors for that purpose to 'by fier wood'[sic]”.
The first recorded tax levy for District #3 in 1854 was $132.11. The directors showed a balance of $2.08 after all expenses were paid.
The first census of pupils, taken in 1860 listed 53 scholars enrolled. The number rose by 1863 to 95 (54 boys 42 girls). Average daily attendance was about half of the total.
In 1886, the old school house was replaced. The new building was frame with a brick foundation. The cost $224.95, with a woodshed and outhouse. The school directors also purchased an additional 1/8 of an acre of land for $18.75. (Information taken from A COLLECTION OF HISTORIES AND RECOLLECTIONS OF THE NORTHBROOK AREA by LEE SCHINLEBER (1989))
Below are some photos of the old 1886 Grove school.