07/20/2026
One of Lowertown's "soft drinks" spots during Prohibition... ("soft drinks," whatever could they mean??...)
It'd be interesting to find out what records the police department - (located on what's now the WBC property,) - kept and documented about area Prohibition activity!! ..Further down the research rabbit hole we go
Row houses on the east side of Exchange Street between Market and Garden Streets in Lockport, c.1972. These houses were built in the 1850s or 60s behind a large stone building that had been erected by Washington Hunt in 1842 at the corner of Market and Exchange Sts. (the Lockport House hotel had burned down on that site the year before).
One of the owners of these row houses, was Landell Seeley. Seeley came to the U. S. from Germany in 1852. In 1872, Seeley purchased 14 Exchange St., a two-story home his family owned for the next 60+ years. He moved his grocery business into the 1st floor and the family lived on the 2rd floor. In the 1880s, the addresses on Exchange St. changed and Seeley expanded his property to include 24-26-28 Exchange St. He added a saloon and hotel, the โSeeley House.โ
The Seeley House was a popular place in East Lockport (at that time, โEast Lockportโ was used more than โLowertownโ). A review stated that, โThe Seeley Houseโฆis worthy of mention for the reason that Landell, the genial proprietor, is known for miles aroundโฆ[He] has been engaged in catering to the public in different waysโฆโ Seeley died in 1898 and his son took over the business. The Seeley Hotel and saloon remained opened until Prohibition and then sold โSoft Drinks.โ Seeley, Jr. sold the business in 1923. For the next 40+ years, 24-26-28 Exchange Street went through a series of owners. 24 Exchange was sold off separately and 26-28 was turned into six apartments in the 1960s. The 100+ year old row houses were torn down soon after this photo was taken in 1972.