St. John's Academy

St. John's Academy St. John’s Academy It opened on September 3, 1890, with 65 students, of which 14 were boarders. It was a four-story brick building 56’ X 70’. In 1923, the Oscar J.

John’s Academy, which had its beginnings in 1890, was the first Catholic educational institution founded in the newly erected Diocese of Jamestown after the consecration of The Right Reverend John Shanley. The first high school graduate, Miss Elizabeth McGrath, received her diploma at the commencement exercises in June, 1892. From the very beginning, the school was open to non-Catholic students. I

n 1903, two young ladies were graduated, one of whom had entered St. John’s Academy on the opening day in September, 1890 and attended school there continuously until her graduation from high school. In that year, there were 110 boarders at the Academy and 165 day students. In 1905, preparations were made to erect another building, which was completed in 1907 at a cost of $37,000. In 1906, businessmen of Jamestown donated a tract of land, known as Academy Park, for recreation purposes. The Silver Jubilee of St. John’s Academy was celebrated on October 20, 1915. At that time, the original St. James Church, which had been replaced by the new brick structure in 1914, was brought to the Academy grounds and remodeled for use as an auditorium. Seiler home was purchased for $12,000 to be used as a student dormitory. On December 14, 1926, a fire of unknown origin destroyed this dormitory. This made it imperative to erect a new building, and a large modern brick structure built by E. A. Moline and designed by G. R. Horton, was completed in 1927 at a cost of $100,000. The Knights of Columbus Home, built in that same year, made a gymnasium and recreational facilities available to the students. In 1927, there were 120 students in high school, and 266 in the elementary grades. On August 15, 1951, The Feast of the Assumption, the fulfillment of a long dream came true with the dedication and open house of the Beck Addition at St. John’s Academy. This addition, with the price tag of $175,000, was made possible through the $50,000 legacy of the late Morris Beck, a Jewish businessman, whose generous gifts and sincere interest made possible the addition named in his honor. By 1961, the enrollment had reached 583 students. 155 were in high school, and 428 were in the grades, with a staff of 34 employees, including instructors, bookkeepers, cafeteria and maintenance personnel. In 1963, St. John’s High School took steps to discontinue. The plan was to close the high school facilities beginning with the elimination of grades 10-12 beginning the fall of 1964, and ninth grade in 1965. In 1968, grades 7-8 were also closed. At that time, St. James Parish took over the school, which had, until then, been the property of the Sisters of St. Joseph.

03/12/2024
02/04/2023

Important reminder. 🙌

11/24/2022

A daisy glazed in ice!
Photo: Shane Hurley

On November 13th this almost 80 year old was a Bridesmaid!!!
11/24/2022

On November 13th this almost 80 year old was a Bridesmaid!!!

Address

215 5th Street SE
Jamestown, ND
58401

Alerts

Be the first to know and let us send you an email when St. John's Academy posts news and promotions. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Contact The School

Send a message to St. John's Academy:

Shortcuts

Share