Pieper, Holy Trinity’s second pastor, saw the need for a parochial school. In the summer of 1865, he hired Miss Elizabeth Stolz, of Philadelphia, to serve as the first teacher. Holy Trinity School opened on September 1, 1865, in the basement of the church building. The initial enrollment was about sixty children. In 1869 the Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis arrived from Philadelphia to ta
ke charge of the school. Mother Agnes, Superior General, sent three sisters and a postulant. Mary Aloysia was named superior. During the spring of 1870 ground was broken for a new two floor, three room school building. Father Pieper with the help of some of the older schoolboys built the school adjacent to the Sisters’ Convent. It was dedicated on November 1, 1870. On Sunday, October 24, 1915, the “new” school and auditorium, at 4th and Cherry Streets, were dedicated The expansion enabled the school to grow from three to eight classrooms. Father James Russell began Catholic-school education at St. Peter’s Parish in 1871. In September 1872, he met with Mother Regina at the motherhouse of the Sisters of Charity in New York, and pleaded for Sisters to staff his school. Teresa, October 15, 1872, Sisters Mary Flavia Quinn, Mary James Ryan and Neir Klein arrived in Columbia to serve St. Peter’s School. Merger of the Schools
With the close of the 1997-98 school year Holy Trinity School, as we knew it for one hundred and thirty years, consolidated with St. The decision for the merger was reached during the Diocesan Consultation Process. Bishop Nicolas Dattilo formally closed Holy Trinity during a Eucharistic celebration. During this ceremony Our Lady of the Angels School was formally commissioned. Students from Holy Trinity and St. Peter’s Schools participated in the ceremony.