10/10/2025
THE STORY OF THE SMITH STORE
Fay Smith was born 1804, in Mayfield, NY. In his twenties, perhaps looking for a job, Smith arrived in Northampton, NY where his uncle, John Fay, had built a brick store in 1809. (If you extended Cty Hwy 109 and Old Fish House Road, the Fay store would be at that corner.). Smith met John Fay’s daughter, Matilda Fay. They married in 1828, Matilda was only 18. It is quite possible that Smith helped his uncle, John Fay, run the corner store as John Fay’s sons were still quite young. Fay Smith and Matilda had one son, Charles Fay Smith, in 1829, but sadly Matilda died less than two years later. Fay Smith then married Jane Shottenkirk in 1834, they had five children and continued to live in Northampton, NY.
Fay Smith opened up his own store next to the Fish House Hotel on what they called, East Main Street. That part of the street is now under water and what remains above water is called Old Fish House Road.
When did Fay Smith open up his store? The early census records can be challenging as they give so little information. The 1830’s census had Fay and Matilda Smith listed near the Grinnell family, and they lived on East Main Street. So it is quite possible that Fay opened up his store around the time he married Matilda n 1828. The 1840’s census confirms that Fay Smith is into retail because it lists his occupation as being in “commerce”. In 1845, Fay Smith was appointed post master. This indicates that he had his own store. Postmasters were store owners and they were appointed based on who was in political office at that time. The 1855 census lists Fay Smith as a merchant, living in a wood frame building.
Before the Civil War, there was no federal paper money. In 1862, Fay Smith printed up bearer notes for his store so customers could pay him with those. Fay Smith died in 1864. The Smith store, run by Fay Smith for over 30 years, was then sold out of the family. But even though several families owned it after 1864, history books still referred to it as the old Smith Store. Below is a timeline for the Smith Store after 1864:
* The Humphrey family owned the
store from 1865 to 1894.
* John T. Moore bought the store in
1895 and ran it until 1906.
* Harry G. Noyes bought the store in
1906 and ran it until 1920 before
moving to Galway to open another
store.
* Delbert W. Noyes, Harry’s brother,
took over the store in 1920 and ran it
and a brick store until his death in
1924.
* Delbert’s widow, Kathryn Paul
Noyes, continued to run the old
Smith store until 1927.
. * John W. Stead bought the store in
1927, even though he knew the
valley would soon be flooded.
* April, 1930 - John W. Stead moved
the store up to Cty. Hwy. 110.
The building was turned 90
degrees so what used to be
the side of the store became the
front.
* John W Stead added gas pumps
and also a service garage
behind the store.
* 1960 - John W. Stead died. His
son, George continued
to run the store for a few more
years before closing it.
* 1972 - the store, which had been
closed for almost a decade,
was sold and the new owner
converted it into a private home.
It is still a home today.
Joanne Blaauboer
Deputy Historian of Northampton