18/05/2022
Dinaburg Castle (19 km from Daugavpils)
The beginning of the Latvian town, which has repeatedly changed its name (Dinaburg, Nevgin, Dvinsk, Borisoglebsk, Daugavpils) was marked by Dinaburg Castle, built in 1275 by order of Master Ernest Ratzeburg of the Livonian Order.
This Latvian landmark has had a complicated history - since its construction, the castle has been fought over several times and constantly passed into the hands of Lithuanian, Polish and Russian authorities.
In 1772 Dinaburg castle was given to Russia and the construction of the castle began. The current appearance of the castle is the fourth in the history of Dinaburg.
In 1810, active construction of defensive structures started here. The ramparts reached a height of 11 metres. The fortification works were so well done that even a three-day siege by Napoleon's army did not allow the fortress to be captured.
In 1813, the construction of the fortress was resumed and barracks, dwelling houses, four fortress gates were built.
In 1827, a hospital for five hundred men was completed.
In general, improvements to the fortifications continued until 1878, but by the end of the 19th century the fortress had lost its defensive purpose and had acquired the status of a storage fortress, which served as a workshop for the manufacture and storage of shells and gunpowder.
After World War II, an aviation school began operating here in 1947. The castle grounds were gradually repaired, sports grounds were built and the area was landscaped.
Today Dinaburg fortress is an example of fortification art. In spite of numerous tests of time, some forts and ramparts have been preserved in their entirety. In time, the Daugavpils authorities hope to turn this complex into a modern cultural centre.