HISTORY
A Catholic high school was established in San Marcelino in 1946 by the Rev. Thomas Pacano, SVD who also served as School Director. With him were Fr. Peter Guisto, Assistant Director and Mr. Ceferino Ladioray, School Principal, then the Bureau of Private Schools Supervisor. Some Catholic lay people also helped, one of whom was the late Mr. Dalmacio Rodriguez who donated lumber for the schoo
l building. In 1949, the school was incorporated, given the name Southern Zambales High School and government recognition for the complete secondary course. Thomas Pacano, SVD was replaced by Fr. Jose dela Cruz in 1950. But the next year, the SVD Fathers transferred the care of the province to the Columban Fathers. Thus on May 10, 1951 an Irish Columban Father, Rev. Vincent Daniel Lyons, SSC was assigned first Columban School Director. He proved to be a real missionary - dedicated and self-sacrificing that in due time, he endeared himself to the people. He succeeded not only in strengthening the dwindling faith of the catholic laity, also the increase in the school’s enrollment. During his stint as Director, the name of the school was changed to St. William’s High School after the town’s patron saint, San Guillermo or St. William. Zambales used to be divided into two dioceses - Olongapo to Iba under the diocese of San Fernando and Palauig to Sta. Cruz under the diocese of Lingayen. In 1955, Zambales was erected as Prelature Niulus of Iba, with the Most Rev. Henry Byrne, SSC as first bishop. He petitioned for the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres to take charge of the administration of the school in San Marcelino. An SPC Community was then formally established in town and Sister Mamerta Rocero, SPC appointed Local Superior and School principal. William’s High School opened its doors to Kindergarten boys and girls in 1956 with Sister Ma. Trinidad Rotor, SPC as Sister-in-charge. In 1961, the elementary course was completed with Sister Mary Esther Teston, SPC as first Grade School Principal. The following year 1962, the school was renamed St. William’s School with Rev. Cornelius O’ Connel and Sister Ma. Ancilla Garcia, SPC as Director and Principal respectively. The old one-storey building was replaced by a two-storey building. As the population increased, more improvements and expansions were made like the concrete four rooms two-storey building for the fourth year students in 1980 during the time of Rev. Juan Pastor, Jr. The SY 1987 saw more face-lifting plans for St. Audencio Mozo but the tragedy of Mt. Pinatubo struck and San Marcelino was among the hardest hit. Another setback came in 1993 with Rev. Teodoro Camat. Flash floods and lahar flows brought additional and greater disaster to homes and properties prompting families to evacuate and transfer to safer places. This dilemma caused further decline in enrollment. Still, the will and drive to pursue rehabilitation and development for the school continued. Thus the 50th anniversary of the school in 1996 was as gloriously and significantly golden, made so by Rev. Teodoro Camat and Sr. Mary Glyceria Navarro, SPC. Rev. Virgilio Monje took over as School Director in 1997, and stayed on until 2001. Infrastructure projects continued. Thus with Sister Marie Edissa Conel, SPC, School Principal from 1999 to the present the Grade II, VI, and Kindergarten rooms were reconstructed. The school organ, The Williamite Gazette also had its own facelift, from the ordinary mimeographing paper to white semi-glossy paper with colored manuscript letters. The Samahang Mag-aaral, overall student body organization gave birth to the Grade School Junior Samahang Mag-aaral. New clubs were also added like the Children of Mary and Legion of Mary, for the Grade School and High School respectively. In the year 2002, a new director came in, Rev. Ferdinand maria David Fajardo. Still with Sister Marie Edissa Conel, SPC as Principal, a new phase of ST. William’s School was established in greater heights to enable the Williamites to be more competitive and innovative. This was made possible with the construction of the Chemistry Laboratory, technologically equipped to empower the students for higher learning skills in terms of science and technology. The renovation of the school canteen and the floor tiling of the Computer-AVR laboratory were also made this time. Father Fajardo’s devotion to Mother MARY also influenced the entire school as he initiated the praying of the Angelus and the Holy Rosary which was aired in the entire parish of San Marcelino. The construction of the Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes also strengthened the spiritual aspect of the Williamites. Though Father Fajardo served only for a year, his dream to establish a transformative-servant community that is CHRIST-CENTERED began to be realized. Today, after so many eventful trials in its history, St. William’s School continues to stand with pride - with its Kindergarten, Elementary, and Secondary courses. It is ever committed to be a powerhouse for young boys and girls in their growth for family, the Community and the Church. With the support of the parents, especially the active and generous Parents Homeroom Council, the Administration, the Faculty, and Staff assure the preparation of the youth for the responsible roles they will take in building San Marcelino into an integral part of the Kingdom of God. Yes, with Rev. Ernesto Raymundo and Sister Marie Edissa Conel, SPC at the helm, SWS continues its dedication, commitment, and service to the people of San Marcelino and its neighboring towns. Worth mentioning here are the Williamite graduates who responded not only to the material improvements and academic learning, but more to the spiritual inspiration, answering God’s call to the religious life-
1. Sister Mary Cyril Corpus, SPC
2. Monsignor Crisostomo Cacho
3. Sister Milagros Amos, SPC
4. Father Clemente Mauricio
5. Sister Teresita Bayona, SPC
6. Sister Helen Famisan, SPC
7. Sister Hipolita Collado, SPC
8. Sister Yolanda Bernardino, SPC
9. Father Francel Paje
10. Sister Remedios Cayetano, SPC
Finally, as the Diocese of Iba bids goodbye to the Columban Fathers in the spirit of deep gratitude, we thank all the Columban who have been part of the St. Williams’s School, together with the other and succeeding Filipino clergy, the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres, and past lay principals. Directors:
1. Thomas Pacano, SVD (+)
2. Jose dela Cruz
3. Vincent Daniel Lyons, SSC (+)
4. Malcolm Sherard, SSC
5. Dermont Woods, SSC
6. Padraig Digan, SSC
7. William Sullivan, SSC
8. Cornelius O’ Connel, SSC (+)
9. Kevin Farrisey, SSC
10. Fintane Murtagh, SSC
11. David Clay, SSC
12. Shay Cullen, SSC
13. Bernard Mulkerins, SSC
14. Audencio Mozo, Jr.
15. Simplicio Esteban
16. (+)
17. Nelson Vencilao
18. Roland Almo
19. Apolinario Lezada
20. Teodoro Camat
21. Virgilio Monje
22. Ferdinand Fajardo
23. Ernesto Raymundo
24. Dennis Astor
Lay Principals:
1. Mr. Ceferino Ladioray
2. Natalio Beltran
3. Mario Ragat
4. Ms. Francisca Beltran
Sister Principals:
1. Sister Mamerta Rocero, SPC
2. Sister Mary Esther Teston, SPC (+)
3. Sister Ma. Ancilla Garcia, SPC
4. Consejo, SPC (+)
5. Sister Mary Hortense Babaran, SPC
6. Rosalina Herrera, SPC
7. Sister Paulina De Jesus, SPC (+)
8. Sister Marie Josephine Veruaza, SPC
9. Sister Sister Mary Andrew Bartolome, SPC
10. Sister Mary Stephanie Eco, SPC
11. Sister Mary Loyola Marcelo, SPC
12. Magdalena Mawili, SPC
13. Sister Estela Sebastion, SPC
14. Sister Marie Gertrude Mandia, SPC (+)
15. Sister Luisita Lota, SPC
16. Sister Chantal Goyena, SPC (+)
17. Fe Policarpio, SPC
18. Carmela Paglomotsn, SPC
19. Sister Carmencita Cruz, SPC
20. Sister Mary Jovita Pe Benito, SPC
21. Luiz Roldan, SPC
22. Sister Mechtilde Seva, SPC (+)
23. Sister Rosalinda Dayap, SPC
24. Sister Mary Glycerio Navarro, SPC
25. Sister Marie Edissa Conel, SPC