13/07/2016
Barangay Patoc is originally called Paloc in its early formation early 1600. As to how the placename changed is still unknown. It was proposed by the Spanish govt that the cabicera of the Jesuits mission be moved to Paloc instead of Dagami where the rectory was based. In old times, a cabicera means an urban center or capital town for both govt and religious missions. As we all know, during those times, there was no separation state and church. The affairs of the State was the affairs of the Church and vice versa.
Around this time, Tacloban was not in existence yet as a town. It only became and recognized in its old name Cancabato (kan Kabato) when it became a jurisdiction of Palo. Palo opened as a mission of Dagami much later. It became a town only in 1768.
In 1783, Burauen was carved out from the barrios of Dagami to become a separate town. The town of Pastrana was carved out from the barrios of Dagami in 1883. Reverted back as a barrio of Dagami until it was finally settled as a separate municipality in 1912.
In the late 60s, Tabon-tabon was next town to be carved out from the barrios of Dagami.
Through the years, Dagami's political and religious history has been unknown. Possible reasons could have been that, the town records have may have floated down the Binahaan river since the town proper (poblacion) is flood-prone and is always flooded many times in a year.
Perhaps, the only remaining proof of Dagami's written history may have been kept at the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) religious records repository and at the Ateneo de Manila University library. The recent publication of The Colonial Odyssy of Leyte, an English translation of the Reseña de la Provincia de Leyte, helped unravel the colorful story of our beloved town of Dagami.