23/07/2026
7. Did you know - In 1787 William Le Marchant, Bailiff from 1771-1800 built this fine town house as his home, which is now the Constables Office.
Robert Le Marchant (b1818) recalled when he lived at the house as a boy, describing the garden, with fruit trees sloping up in terraces to the Royal Court, where it was bounded by a pair of beautiful gates, with the Le Marchant arms upon them.
The Le Marchants owned a great deal of land, which they sold off at intervals, including the site of the old Prison, built in 1811 (cost £11,000) and where the Royal Court was built (cost £7,000) in 1792 -1803 (the first meeting which took place in January 1803), moving from a medieval building in poor repair at La Plaiderie.
In a letter dated 1827 from a Jurat - Mr John Le Serre to his son Octave, he recalls about the widening of Smith Street (formally La Rue de Chasse Vassel - then La Route des Forges) with several houses removed and the street lowered seven feet in front of his house, to make the ascent gradual and easier.
Bringing down houses either side of Smith Street, enabled it to become a much grander route to the Royal Court.
Hirzel Street was also widened, leading to the Town Hospital, by removing tenements in the area.
It was said at the time, with all the alterations made throughout this part of town, that it had perfectly transformed the whole neighbourhood.
The Constables and Douzaine were in need of a permanent home, and so when the opportunity arose to rent the property from the then owner Dr Magrath for the sum of £55 per annum, with the proviso, that if it were to come to the market, the Douzaine would have first option.
Constables Henry Crousaz and John Gore signed the first contract on 24th June 1867 for one year.
The Constables purchased the property on behalf of the parish in 1899 for £3,500.
We still have a Le Marchant Street, Rue du Manoir named after his house and Rue Marguerite, named after Williams wife.
Until the beginning of the 1900s a douzenier was required to be a man of substance. By an Ordinance of the Royal Court dated 1621 and reaffirmed in 1841, a douzenier of the town parish, was required to hold real property to the value of thirty quarters, or £600.
The Reform Law of 1948 - the requirements to become a douzenier changed, anyone on the electoral roll and who lived in the parish was able to stand, wealth no longer being a requirement.
References -The growth of St Peter Port in the early 19th Century from MS of the late F.C Lucas esq - edited by Edith Carey
References - GR Le Huray
References - C.E.B. Brett - National Trust of Guernsey - buildings in the town and parish of St Peter Port
The role of Constable and Douzenier has been part of island life for hundreds of years, they have always made a positive difference in the community.
Elections are held each year on the first Wednesday in November.