The Duquesne University library system began in 1878, when what was then known as the "Pittsburgh Catholic College of the Holy Ghost" was founded. The collection moved along with the university to the Bluff, and was for a long time housed in the Old Main administration building. In 1939, an anonymous contribution permitted work to begin on a new library building, in order to house the university's
growing collection: that structure was given to the School of Law upon the completion of the current library. The Gumburg Library building was originally constructed as a printing plant, and saw use as a garage before it was redesigned for its new purpose and opened for service as the Duquesne University Library in 1978. On 3 February 1995, it was rededicated as the "Gumberg Library at Duquesne University," a tribute to the financial support of alumnus Stanley R. We welcome comments on our official page. Please keep in mind, however, that the University reserves the right to remove any content that is offensive, abusive, discriminatory or inappropriate.