Jeffersontown Fire Department History

Jeffersontown Fire Department History

Share

An independent history page dedicated to the Jeffersontown Fire Department (Ky) established July 18, 1912.

Message or email us if you have pictures, documents or memorabilia to share for the historical record

Photos from Jeffersontown Fire Department History's post 08/13/2026

In 1979, the Jeffersontown Fire Protection District hosted the 59th annual Kentucky Firefighters Association Convention at the Ramada Inn/Bluegrass Convention Center from August 13-15.

Photos from Jeffersontown Fire Department History's post 08/11/2026

In August 1987, the Jeffersontown Fire Department held a picnic at the former Tucker Lake on Tucker Station Road.

Thanks to Amanda Gaddie Ragland for sharing the photos.

08/06/2026

This old newspaper clipping is not the clearest photo. On August 5, 1981, the Jeffersontown and McMahan Fire Departments responded to a fatal collision at Hurstbourne Lane and Bluegrass Parkway. The crash caused a fire.

Photos from Jeffersontown Fire Department History's post 07/31/2026

Eighty-five years ago, proceeds from the Jeffersontown Community Fair were set aside for the first payment on a new fire engine—the 1941 Chevy Seagrave—which was expected to arrive that week. The fire department and fair committee urged the community to attend in support. As the committee noted, “The firemen serve without pay and give their services both night and day. They recognize neither race, color nor creed, but faithfully respond to any call within reach to save life and property.”

Today, the department still owns the 1941 Chevy Seagrave, also known as J-2, and uses it for special occasions such as the Gaslight Parade. The Jeffersontown Community Fair was the predecessor to the Gaslight Festival.

07/30/2026

August 1989. Back row, left to right: Gary Carrithers, Tom Darst, Kim Weber, Johnny Gregg, and Greg Frederick. Front: Randy Reid. This photo was one of several taken as Jeffersontown Fire Protection District prepared to host the Kentucky Firefighters Association that year.

Photos from Jeffersontown Fire Department History's post 07/27/2026

2003

Photos from Jeffersontown Fire Department History's post 07/22/2026

One hundred sixteen years ago, the Jeffersontown Community Club considered buying a fire engine and forming an organized fire department to protect the town. The effort followed the July 7, 1910, fire that destroyed the Jeffersontown Roller Mill Company. Built entirely of wood, the mill burned rapidly. Although the mill pond behind the property supplied water for the steam operation and served as a primary source for residents’ bucket brigades, they could not put out the blaze. The fire department was not organized until 1912. Two members of the 1910 committee, Frank Fanelli and Peter Litterer, later became the first chief and assistant chief.

The mill was never rebuilt. By 1915, Edward Hewitt’s hardware store occupied the site, now identified as 10404 Watterson Trail. The Christian Church, shown at left in the photos, still stands next door.

07/16/2026

Thirty years ago today, in 1996, the Jeffersontown Fire Protection District advertised for applicants for fire chief. Candidates were required to have at least 15 years of fire service experience, including seven years as a fire officer, along with a bachelor’s degree and eligibility for certification. The position offered annual compensation of $40,000 to $50,000, plus benefits. Jack Reckner of Maryland was selected and began serving as chief on January 1, 1997. He succeeded Chief Robert Gadde, who had held the position since 1964.

Photos from Jeffersontown Fire Department History's post 07/13/2026

Forty years ago, Jeffersontown Fire Protection District expanded its main station into a two-story facility, adding 3,900 square feet and living quarters.

Want your school to be the top-listed School/college in Jeffersontown?

Click here to claim your Sponsored Listing.

Location

Website

Address

Jeffersontown, KY
40299